Popular Posts

Saturday, August 9, 2008

Federer, why do all good things come to an end?


Among all tennis players that I admire, Roger Federer is the best player in the history of the game, I always thought that Pete Sampras was the best, but personally I believe that Federer has better skills, but of course Pete Sampras is a great a player and he was my favorite in the past. Other players that I cheered for where Steffi Graff, Martina Hingis, Justine Henin, Maria Sharapova, Ana Ivanovic, Novak Djokovic and Andre Agassi. But of course on top of them is Federer.

If you watch Federer playing, you will definitely notice how smart he is, I’ve never seen someone playing like him, the way he puts the ball on the line, the incredible back-hand shot that drives the opponent outside the field, not to mention the great aces. One can tell that his skills, his mind, and his amazing attitude are the reason that he ruled tennis for more than 4 years, being number one for 4 consecutive years is something that no one could achieve more than half of it.

Out of the 4 Grand Slam tournaments, Federer failed just like Sampras to win the Roland Garros, my personal favorite championship, when he announced that he hired a coach that specializes in clay fields I though it could be a good idea but I was afraid that he loses his outstanding performance on the rest of fields, and I’m not sure if this is what happened.

Unfortunately all good thing will eventually come to an end, this year wasn’t quite the good year for the this glittering star, throughout 2008 he couldn’t win any major title, not the Australian Open, nor the Roland Garros or Wimbledon, which I took for granted.

Tennis is all about concentration, if you lost it for a microsecond you lose the ball, and I guess this is what is happening to Federer, he is not focusing on the game, and so his results were really disappointing this year, but the good part is that he still got it, he still has his magic, he still shoots great shots, but he can’t focus, and so he isn’t able to win.

Now he is losing the number one ranking, which he kept for 4 years in row, to the player that I really hate, Nadal, I don’t know why but I really hate him, he looks so mean, he plays a lot of mind games, and what is worse is that he kills the game, the more the ball remains in play the better, the best part to of a tennis match is the rally, but then Nadal wastes like 15 seconds before he serves, I don’t really care if that’s legal, but it shouldn’t be more than 4 seconds, let the game be more vibrant, faster, more continues.

At the end, Federer will remain the best, even if he lost, and I don’t think I will enjoy tennis knowing that Nadal is number one, I just can’t. And the question remains, will Federer end up like Hingis? I hope no.

No comments: