Popular Posts

Sunday, July 20, 2008

First experiences with Ubuntu 8.04

Last week I installed the newest version of Ubuntu on my PC. I had just recently started using Ubuntu (7.10), and was already quite impressed. Naturally I was looking forward to the new version, and I was not disappointed. Here are some of my first impressions.

First off, the installation booted quite quick. Even faster than a fresh installation of Windows XP, if I remember correctly. Out of the box, the look and feel have a nice atmosphere, but some people will find it slightly boring. After installing some nVidia drivers and the advanced Compiz configuration program, I was able to set some very funky display effects. I especially like the idea of my different desktops being represented as a cube. And the graphics look very smooth and polished. Visually there was nothing more I wanted to tweak immediately.

I'm typing this article in OpenOffice, and find the experience quite pleasant. I'm no stranger to OpenOffice, but in this particular default installation I found one thing which was not quite wrinkle-free. The spellchecker kept underlining very common words, like “experiences”, and “disappointed”. Finally I discovered that changing the language settings to “English (USA)” instead of “English (South Africa)” yielded much better results.

Next, I noticed that the font being used in this document wasn't Arial. I opened the font drop-down, but couldn't find any of the fonts I am used to on Windows. Google to the rescue. I found out there is a package called “msttcorefonts”, which you can install to make such fonts available. Much better!

Next, I played with audio and video. As soon as I inserted the CD, the program immediately populated the display with the track names. After another few clicks (changing some preferences), the extraction began, and was finished within minutes. Very impressive.

My impressions of video handling were mixed. My first try was to play a DVD. No luck there. The movie player had some problem with playing the disc. Fortunately, it offered to search for the missing packages, and install them with minimal effort. Great, I thought. But after that it still didn't work. A few Google searches and about 20 minutes later (with a few additional packages installed), DVDs finally played. Except that the player skipped the menu and started with the first track immediately. When I couldn't fix that, I decided to install VLC. This yielded much better results, and everything now worked as it should have in the first place. After doing some research about DVD codecs, I now know why this process had to be so difficult. Since (most) DVDs are encoded with proprietary codecs, these can't be included with the default installation of Ubuntu. And that's why you have to install them yourself. But I did have a pleasant experience with video nonetheless. I successfully loaded several AVI files without having to install a single additional codec or package. Not bad.

With Ubuntu 7.10 I tried to install the Linux Port of .NET, Mono. That went without a hitch, but I couldn't get MonoDevelop installed. I haven't tried it with Ubuntu 8.04 yet, but I suspect that this is not an Ubuntu related issue anyway.

I must say that I am impressed with the selection of pre-installed software that comes with Ubuntu. It's a very useful collection, and for most everyday tasks you have everything you need. And finding and installing other software is quite painless. The Add/Remove program provides you with a world of software available for Linux. And if you can't find something there, chances are you will find it using the package manager. And what I love even more is that you don't need to worry about package dependencies. If a program you are installing needs another package to function correctly, Ubuntu will install that package for you. Very handy.

Overall, I'm having a wonderful time with Ubuntu. And even though I understand why some people with less technical knowledge might find Ubuntu slightly difficult to figure out at times, I love figuring out little “challenges” now and again. At the moment I can't switch to Ubuntu completely on the laptop yet but plan to move to Ubuntu on my home computer completely. So far I haven't found a single reason not to.

No comments: